The Board of Perry Township Trustees met in Regular Session on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at the East Liberty Community Room.  Roll Call: Jeff Rosebrook, present, Merle Ackley, present, John Brose, present and Cindy Stalling, present.  Also present was Dave Cook, Bonnie Brose, Dan Bowman, Jenn Bowman, Melony Baker, Beverly Wolf, Kurt Penhorwood, Jack Nicholas, Keith Montgomery, Mitch Current, and Dave Frangis.  

    Chairman Rosebrook called the meeting to order.

    The minutes of the previous meeting was given to the Trustees to read prior to this meeting. Mr. Rosebrook asked if there were any additions or corrections to the minutes and then asked if there were any additions or corrections to the financial statements that were given to the Trustees from the fiscal officer.  They both stand approved by the trustees.

     Mr. Dave Cook reported that the Fire Dept. now has another medic on staff.  It is Mr. Ken Davis and he has moved into town on N. Main Street.

     Mr. Cook reported that on Oct. 12 there will be a fire prevention demonstration at the fire house from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.

     Mr. Cook stated that Mrs. Candy Frangis will no longer be running with the EMS.  Her license has expired and she doesn’t have time to get it re-newed.  The Trustees appreciated the service she gave to our township. 

     Mrs. Bonnie Brose reported that PTEC will be hosting an Auction on Sat., Oct. 15.  She also thanked the EMS for taking her Mom into the hospital yesterday.

     Mrs. Jenn Bowman, compliance officer, had several policies ready to be put into effect by the Trustees for the Fire Dept.  All of the policies have been run by the Log. Co. Prosecutor and been approved. The policies just need to be signed by the Trustees now, so they can start being enforced.   The Fire and Squad Chiefs stated that they would like to see the policies signed and put into place tonight. Jenn gave a brief overview of each of the policies she had ready to go, they included:

1. Mission Statement- Equal Opportunity Employer

2. Purpose Policy

3. Establishes Policy Committee

4. Part-time Employees In House Absences

5. Alcohol & Drug Substance Policy

6. Tardiness & Lateness Policy

7. Disiplinary Policy

8. Recruiting & Employment

9. Personal Injury & Investigation

10. Sexual Harassment

11. Fire Arm Policy

12. Volunteer on Call Utilization

13. Vehicle Accident & Personal Injury Investigation

14. Emergency Vehicle Backing

15. Apparatus, Maintenance & Repair

     All the policies with the exception of # 15 were signed by the Trustees and put into effect. # 15, Jenn is still working on this one. Mrs. Bowman stated that the original policies will be in the office at the Fire House.  All Employees need to review all the policies in a time frame. Some employees may want copies, and they will be given them if they ask for them.  Then they will have to sign off stating that they have reviewed all the policies. 

     Mr. Kurt Penhorwood had copies of the invoice of the crack fill work he recently did for the Township.  He explained the invoice to the Trustees.  He stated that with us doing the work ourselves we saved over $25,000.00.  His invoice was for $5,671.00.  Mr. Penhorwood stated that the crack fill machine needs to go in for some repair and he will be taking it for us tomorrow.  He will then be working at Jefferson Township repairing their roads.   Mr. Penhorwood stated that Mr. Brose did a decent job helping him and he was there all the time helping.

     Mrs. Bev Wolf stated that she thought we purchased this machine to use it ourselves, and not have to hire someone to do the work, so why did we hire someone?  The Trustees told her that 3 people can’t do it.

          Mr. Jack Nicholas thanked the Township Trustees for the work they have been doing with the tile problem on his property since the creek has been covered at Perry Park.  He stated that he is just waiting on a rain to see if it worked.  The work at his property and Ernie McFarlan’s is done.  Mr. Brose had the two agreements with Nicholas’ and McFarlans about having permission to be on their properties to fix the tiles, signed and turned in to be filed.

     Chief, Keith Montgomery, thanked Jenn Bowman for doing all the policy paperwork. 

     Chief would like to have a big sink (faucet hook-up) installed at the fire house, to have to wash air masks, back boards, etc.  He had a quote for $158.25 plus a plumber coming in and hooking it up.  Mr. Rosebrook made a motion for said purchase, seconded by Mr. Ackley. Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes and Brose, yes.  Mr. Rosebrook said that he will see if he and John can do the hook up.

     Chief reported that the Grass Truck and the Engine will be out to TRC tomorrow and they will be doing the hydrant testing at TRC on Saturday.

     Mr. Mitch Current stated that the trucks need servicing; it has been 1 ½ years since they have been done.  He doesn’t feel that Whites are acceptable with doing the work.  He would like to see us get someone in and see if they will do the work here at the fire station.  Mr. Jeff Rosebrook stated that he would check with Ken Rosebrook, Jr. and see if he is interested in doing this.  If not, then he will contact Payne’s and see if they would be interested.

     Mr. Current said that all the radios that have been ordered are in. We may need one more. 

     Mr. Current reported that the engine needs to have a pump test.  FSS does this.

     There have been new knobs on the doors installed at the fire station again.  They are guaranteed for life, so need to keep the box that they came in.

     Mr. Current stated that the back door going to the parking lot is ready to fall off the hinges. The holes are stripped out; the Trustees said that they will take a look at it.

     Mr. Merle Ackley brought up as to whether we are going to have a fall dumpster day or not? After some discussion, the Trustees agreed to have one on Saturday, Oct. 22 from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon.  Mr. Rosebrook will call Sherman & Buckeye to get prices on the dumpsters. 

     Mr. Ackley wanted to know if anyone had any base orders.  John stated that he had one.

     Mrs. Stalling had some forms ready to comply with our Insurance Co.  Mr. Merle Ackley made a motion to accept these forms, seconded by Mr. Jeff Rosebrook.  Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes and Brose, yes.

     Mr. John Brose reported that the new stop sign replacement law has been changed.  We now have to replace the stop signs with  the higher reflective signs when we need new ones, we don’t have to do all of them at once.

     Mr. Brose reported that there must have been a little girl trapped in the girl’s bathroom at the park.  The door was locked going into the bathroom.  The track on the window was broken, and that was how they had gotten out.  The trustees are going to change and  go with a dead bolt lock and will lock it in the evening and unlock it in the morning.  They will put handles on the door.

     Mrs. Stalling reported that she had written up an agreement about the crack fill machine. This was one of our recommendations from our Audit.  We did not have a written agreement between Perry, Jefferson and Zane Township about this machine that all 3 townships purchased together.  The trustees looked over the agreement and Mr. Ackley made a motion to accept the agreement, seconded by Mr. Rosebrook.  Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes and Brose, yes.  There will be copies sent to the other two townships and have them accept the agreement as well.

     Mr. Brose reported that he has fixed the horses on the springs at the park.  
Mr. Brose purchased a tripod and a laser measuring stick. 

     Mr. Ackley went out and fixed the stop sign on CR 2 and TR 129.

     Mr. Ackley reported that we will start mowing the roads again.

     Mr. Brose reported that the Insurance Co. wants us to put either wood chips or pea gravel under the playground equipment.  Mr. Brose has called and gotten prices on both materials.

For pea gravel it is $ 5.00 per ton and we would need 164 Ton.

For wood chips we would need over 100 cubic yds and it would cost us around $3.200.00. This is to comply with all the recommendation from our Insurance co.  Mrs. Stalling stated that we would save $300.00 a year for complying with these recommendations. 

     Mr. Brose will be checking the playground equipment every month. 

      Mr. Jeff Rosebrook reported that we have gotten the snow plow back.  Oliver Welding has put an extension on top and a wing on the right side of the plow.  Mr. Brose stated that he put the 1st coat of paint on it today.  

      Mr. Brose stated that they called today and the flushers are in for the ladies restroom at the park.

     Mr. Rosebrook had prices for sealing the black top at the park and the fire dept.  The parking lot at the fire house would be $885.00 and everything at the park it would be $995.00.  He had quotes from H&S Asphalt and also from Quality Paving.   Matter was tabled.

     Mr. Ackley brought up about getting TR 129 stripped.  Mr. Rosebrook stated that he will call the County about this. 

     Mr. Rosebrook stated that the chip & sealing on Wolever Rd., Bible Rd, and the 2 alleys in North Greenfield are done. 

     Mr. Rosebrook reported that he fixed the shelter house lights, the dryer in the ladies restroom at the park, and the wiring in the Lodge Hall has been updated. 

     Mr. Rosebrook had a price from HBI Electric for 2 wall packs for the side of the fire house to light up the parking lot. The price was $1,724.00; Mr. Merle Ackley made a motion for said purchase, seconded by Mr. Jeff Rosebrook.  Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes and Brose, yes.

     Mr. Rosebrook stated that he would like to get new tires on the Bobcat before winter.  Jeff will call Bobcat the Levans and get prices on them.  Mr. Brose said that he thinks the Bobcat needs to be serviced. 

       Mr. Dave Cook told the Trustees that the back Shelter House at the Park needs to have some new spouting put up and drained to the East instead.  The floor is starting to move already, mainly on the back.

     Mr. Rosebrook reported that we are going to dig on the water problem on Harry Bray’s property and Chris Mathew’s property to see what the problem is.  The County told Mr. Rosebrook that they would help out if they can.

     Mrs. Stalling brought up that Jimmy McCreary contacted her about poison ivy being around one of the Street Light poles across from his home on S. Main Street.  Could we spray it? Trustees will go down and take care of it.

     Mr. Merle Ackley brought up that Michael Young would like to have his zoning permit fees back; he is now claiming that he is going to use it for agriculture.  After some discussion, all trustees said that it’s a done deal and if he is not satisfied, then he needs to come and talk to them.  We have got to put our foot down somewhere about this problem.

     Mr. Jeff Rosebrook stated that he will be meeting with the lady from DP&L on Wednesday about the new light at the alley by the Church of Christ.  He will also be asking her about the huge increase in our street light bill.

     Mr. Jeff Rosebrook made a motion to pay the bills, seconded by Mr. Merle Ackley. Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes, and Brose, yes.

 

TOTAL OF BILLS;  $70,214.55    

 

 

TOTAL ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS   $5,158.91

                                                             `                                 

                                                                                   

INCOME FOR AUGUST  $ 151,606.10

 

 

       Mr. Jeff Rosebrook made a motion for adjournment, seconded by Mr. Merle Ackley. Rosebrook, yes, Ackley, yes and Brose, yes.

 

 

                                                Respectfully submitted by:

 

                                                __________________________             

                                                Cindy Stalling, fiscal officer